“A was once an apple-pie,
Pidy, Widy, Tidy, Pidy, Nice insidy, Apple-pie!” Edward Lear.
When I was growing up, mum use to say that I was like Amelia Bedelia – messy, uncoordinated and clumsy, but not bad at baking. I love pies, lemon meringue pies, chicken pot pies, steak and kidney pies, even the old Fray Bentos pies. I especially like American Apple Pies – stuffed with layer upon layer of apples.
Considering the Christmas tree is up, Michael Buble is playing – I thought I’d make a Christmassy apple pie, filled with ginger and spice and all things nice. The all things nice being – ginger caramel sauce, ginger cake pieces, sticky apples and a spiced pastry.
Apple and ginger spiced pies
8oz plain flour
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp mixed spice
2 oz margarine
2 oz lard
1 tbsp Rum cream
1. Sift the flour and then add in the spices.
2. Add the margarine and lard, and cut it into the flour with a knife.
3. Drizzle in the rum cream and a little water and use the knife to bring it all together.
4. Pat together to form a ball, wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge to rest for about 2 hours.
Ginger Caramel Sauce
Recipe adapted from My Man’s Belly.
1 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup double cream
1 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 cup of dark muscovado sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
5 tbsps butter
1/4 cup water
1. Put the cream and spices into a pan and simmer.
2. in a separate pan put the water, sugars, maple syrup and butter and bring to the boil.
3. Leave to simmer with a lid on for 5-7 minutes until it gets a lovely caramel colour.
4. Pour the cream into the sugar mixture and whisk. It will bubble and froth, but keep whisking. Simmer for another 5 minutes then leave on the side to cool and thicken up.
5. Breathe in the creamy gingerness – it is like sitting on a Christmas cloud.
Jamaican Ginger Cake
4 medium sized cooking apples
1 tsp ground ginger
Ginger caramel sauce.
Add the ginger caramel to the sliced and diced apples. Crumble in 2 inches worth of Jamaican Ginger cake.
Roll out your pasty and cut into circles and put into a greased cupcake pan. Fill each pie with the apple and caramel sauce.
Put lids on your mini pies and put egg wash on them. Use the egg wash to seal the lips as well. Pop into the oven at 175C for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
I served this with some cream whipped with some more of the rum cream and a drizzle of the ginger caramel sauce.
The results: Nice insidy. Could have added more apple and cinnamon mixture.